Flow Analytics - Overview¶
Flow Analytics provide overall visibility into network and security events. Events collated from the entire Valtix solution include, but are not limited to, Flow Logs, TLS Logs, URL FIlters, FQDN Filters, Network Threat, Firewall and App ID engines, along with other mechanisms to provide analytical insights into traffic either ingressing or egressing a deployed application/s.
Common to all Analytics sections are the following functions:
Account and Gateway Selection¶
Select a CSP Account and Gateway from the pulldown menus to populate the tables as shown:
Graphically, events are categorized into three (3) types:
Web Attacks, with a quantity detailing the event rate - (total events/selected timeframe). The X and Y axis are autoscaled based on timeframe selection / detected events, and auto-updated while viewing.
Time Format, Timeframe, Pagination¶
- Time Format - Select between UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) or Local time format using the radio buttons shown below. Time format displayed is ISO 8601 (Complete date plus hours, minutes, seconds and a decimal fraction of a second - YYYY-MM-DD T HH:MM:SS:S). Example: 2020-11-22T10:58:46.820.
- Timeframe - Events can be displayed in increment options from 15 minutes to 30 days, or Custom timeframes. To select, or switch between, timeframes, click the pulldown and select timeframe as shown below. For Custom timeframes, select Custom, the Start/End date and Start/End time by clicking the calender objects followed by Save.
Pagination - If results exceed a single page, Next will be displayed on the far right as shown below. Click Prev and Next to navigates pages.
Select the "cog wheel" shown above (far right) to show/hide columns. Example shown from All Events view.
Using the checkboxes, add or remove columns as desired in the event layout.
- Click Save to make the changes persistent across login/logout cycles.
Search and Filter¶
Events can be filtered using the Search function which operate on the Event fields as follows. Example shown from All Events view.
To filter Events on one, or multiple, field/s:
Left mouse-click in the Search field to access the pull down menu. Example shown from All Events view.
Select a field from a category e.g.
Type(Event Details), enter a desired search value string e.g.
- Add additional Catefgory/fields to the search criteria as required, repeating the step above.
- Additional search fields can also be added by using a left mouse click anywhere on an event column/value, and selecting "Add to Search". This has the advantage of adding both the search field/category and value string in a single action.
Search filters are persistent across different views e.g. after selecting a desired set of filters, moving to another view will retain the selection. Moving away from the Investigate menu will clear the Search filters. It is recommended to open a new tab in the browswer should you wish to perform another action while "holding" the filtered event view.
Example Result View¶
An example filter from All Event view for Event Type(Event Details) = "APPID" and Source(Service) = "10.2.2.20" in the filter criteria produces results as shown:
New Events / Refresh¶
The Flow Analytics views are updated when first viewed. New events will increment while viewing the page as shown above. Click the same to view the new events in the table.